Chicken Biryani is a luxurious delight known worldwide and loved by all. Beautiful melange of chicken layered with long grain basmati rice and then slow cooked (dum) to perfection.
Presenting to you today, the most easiest and the best chicken biryani recipe you will firmly adore.
Chicken Biryani Recipe
A luxurious delight known worldwide and loved by all. Biryani is beautiful melange of chicken layered with long grain basmati rice and then slow cooked. Serve this delight with raita of your choice.
DietGluten Free, Non Vegetarian
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Marination Time 30 minutes
To marinate the chicken
- ▢750 g Chicken On Bone (cut into medium pieces)
- ▢¾ cup Yogurt (Curd) (whisked well)
- ▢¾ tablespoon Garlic Paste
- ▢¾ tablespoon Ginger Paste
- ▢2 teaspoons Red Chili Powder
- ▢1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ▢2 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- ▢3 – 4 Green Chilies (slit or chopped)
- ▢1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- ▢Salt to Taste
- ▢3 tablespoons Brown Onions
- ▢1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ▢2 tablespoons Oil
- ▢3 Cups Long Grain Rice (approx 650- 700 gms) (preferably aged basmati rice)
- ▢1½-2 tablespoons Salt (only for stove top method) (water should taste extra salty)
- ▢Water as needed
To cook marinated chicken
- ▢2 tablespoons Oil
- ▢1 tablespoon Ghee
- ▢1 Onion (large sized, finely sliced)
- ▢1 teaspoon Caraway Seeds or Cumin Seeds (Shajeera)
- ▢1½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- ▢5 Green Cardamom
- ▢8-10 Black Peppercorns
- ▢6-8 Cloves
- ▢2 Bay Leaves
- ▢1 Star Anise
- ▢⅓ cup Brown Onions or Caramalised Onions
- ▢½ cup Mint Leaves
- ▢½ cup Coriander Leaves
- ▢A pinch of Saffron soaked in 2 tbsp of warm Milk
- ▢2 tablespoons Ghee
Preparation and marination
- Clean and wash the chicken well, drain the water completely.
- Add chicken and all the ingredients mentioned under marination and mix well.
- Cover and allow it to rest for 30 minutes under refrigeration.
- Clean, wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, add enough water and salt. Bring the water to a boil and add strained rice.
- Cook the rice until 70 percent done. Strain all the water from the cooked rice. Set it aside
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil and ghee together.
- Add sliced onion and fry until they just start to pick the golden colour.
- Then, add the marinated chicken along with all the whole spices.
- Mix and cook on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, cover and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on low.
Layering the chicken and rice
- Sprinkle fried onions, chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves over the cooked chicken.
- Layer the cooked rice on the top of the chicken evenly.
- Pour soaked saffron and melted ghee over the rice.
- Cover the pot with tight fitting lid.
- Slow cook (dum) the biryani for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat.
- Allow it to rest for 5-7 minutes. Dish out and serve hot with raita of your choice.
- Adjust the spiciness of the biryani as per your liking.
- You can use mix chicken cut or chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks.
- For stove top method, soak the rice for 30 minutes and for instant pot method soak it for 15 -20 minutes.
- For stove top method, use heavy bottom pan to make the biryani.
- For Instant Pot method, please refer to step by step pictures above in the post.
- If you do not have the stored fried onions, then finely slice 2 large onions and fry it in oil until golden.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 2.1mg
- Best Mutton Biryani
- Best Prawn Biryani (Dum Style)
- Best Tandoori Chicken
- Spicy Chicken Fry – So Crispy and Tasty!
- Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani (With Pressure Cooker Instructions)
- Punjabi Rajma Recipe (Video)
- Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
- Mumbai Pav Bhaji (Video)
- Mango Chicken Biryani
- Jeera Rice – Indian Cumin Rice (Stovetop and Instant Pot Recipe)
- Chole Palak Recipe | Chana Palak Curry Recipe
- Cook Restaurant Style Matar Paneer With These Two Methods
- Chicken Kali Mirch | How To Make Kali Mirch Chicken Recipe
- Homemade Mawa Gujiya (Video)
- Punjabi Kurkuri Bhindi | Crispy Fried Okra
- Best Homemade Gulab Jamun | How to make Gulab Jamun Recipe
- Paneer Pasanda | How to make Paneer Pasanda
- Chicken Pulao – Instant Pot Pressure Cooker + Stove Top
- Chicken Saag (Palak Chicken)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Masala
- Tastiest Punjabi Dal Makhani – Instant Pot + Stove Top Recipe
- The Best Kadai Paneer Recipe (Video)
- Easy Chana Masala – Instant Pot + Stovetop Recipe
- Chicken Tikka Masala | How To Make Chicken Tikka Masala
- Bread Roll Recipe | How to make Bread Rolls
- Greek Tzatziki Sauce (Video)
- How to Make Perfect Birista (Crispy Fried Onions Recipe)
- Authentic Lamb Vindaloo (Mutton Vindaloo)
- Rice Kheer Recipe | How to make Kheer Recipe
- Best Chicken Cutlets | How to Make Chicken Cutlets
- How To Make Perfect Indian Samosa (Video)
- Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Pulao (Spicy Matar Pulao)
- Paneer Matar Kabab (Paneer Peas Kebab)
- Indian Spicy Masala Baby Potatoes Recipe
- Sheer Khurma | How to Make Sheer Khurma
- Zarda Pulao – Traditional Sweet Rice Recipe
- Makki Ki Roti – Traditional Punjabi Corn Meal Flatbread (V, GF)
- Awadhi Mutton Korma Recipe (Lamb Korma)
- Palak Moong Dal Chilla – Healthy and Tasty GF Breakfast Recipe
- Bharwa Baingan (Achari Baingan)
- Sarson Ka Saag – An Authentic Punjabi Recipe of Spicy Mustard Greens
- Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- Semiya Upma (Vermicelli Upma) – Stove top + Instant Pot Recipe
- Crispy Aloo Tikki (Video)
- Masoor Dal (Brown Lentil Curry)
- Lahsuni Methi Ka Raita (Garlic and Fenugreek Leaves in Yogurt)
- Matar Paratha (Green Peas Stuffed Flatbread)
- Aloo Matar Curry